On March 26, 1941, a group of Apple Creek citizens met to discuss organization of a volunteer fire department. Up until that time,
local fire protection was very inadequate. The number of buildings and businesses in the area was increasing and so were the insurance rates.
Cloyce Orr was elected first Fire Chief of the new department and Paul Miller Assistant Chief. D.J. Hull was elected president;
Russell Sells, vice president; Robert Sherrard, treasurer; and W.J. Greegor, secretary. The charter members are listed on the
plaque in the new Paul Miller Memorial structure.
They had no training, money or equipment, except a bell to sound the alarm and the hand-drawn two-wheeled hose cart. What this
group of men did have was the desire, a dedication and a determination to provide the citizens of the village and the surrounding
area better means of protection against fire loss.
The foundation was laid for one of the best volunteer fire departments in the county. Committees were appointed to evaluate
equipment available, to contact the State Fire Marshal and nearby departments, arrange for courses of instruction and devise
means of raising funds.
| Charter Members - November 19, 1941|
George R. Maurer
W. C. Greegor
Wilson L. Smedley
The present day Apple Creek Volunteer Fire Department proudly protects a continuously growing population in an area of 37.5 square miles.
We currently have an ISO rating of 6, not only in the Village but throughout the Township as well. See what this means to YOU. We operate out of one station that
responded to over 400 fire and emergency medical requests in the year 2003. Our department is staffed with all volunteer members.